The Junortoun Community Action Group takes its privacy obligations seriously.
- We adhere to the Australian Privacy Principles.
- We only collect information from people if it is necessary for the services we provide.
- We will never share or sell our mailing lists or other data.
The Junortoun Community Action Group (“us”, “we”, “our”, or “JCAG”) is committed to protecting the privacy of the personal information that the organisation collects, holds and administers. JCAG adheres to the Australian Privacy Act 1988 and is committed to the Australian Privacy Principles.
About the Junortoun Community Action Group
The Junortoun Community Action Group Inc. (JCAG) is a volunteer, not-for-profit community group located in Junortoun, Victoria, Australia. JCAG is registered as an Incorporated Association with Consumer Affairs Victoria.
The personal information collected by the Junortoun Community Action Group
JCAG only collects personal information where it is reasonably necessary for us to deliver one or more of our functions or activities, or where the law requires us to collect it.
Examples of personal information we collect includes names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers.
Information we collect and maintain includes:
- Membership register – a list of current and former members of the Incorporated Association. This list is maintained using Microsoft Office software (e.g. Word, Excel).
- Volunteers register – these lists are used to record participation in community events and activities, in particular for purposes of legal indemnity. These lists are maintained using Microsoft Office software (e.g. Word, Excel).
- Committee members (Executive Committee and Action Groups) – we collect information such as names and contact information in order to communicate among ourselves to provide services of benefit to the Junortoun community. These lists are maintained using Microsoft Office software (e.g. Access, Word, Excel).
- Email subscriber list – used for distribution of a community newsletter and other occasional community notices such as information about community events.
This list is maintained using the MailChimp application.
- Donor information. We record details of individuals and organisations that have donated money, goods or services to JCAG.
In addition, JCAG maintains several social media pages or groups, including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Sensitive personal information
JCAG does not specifically collect sensitive information such as: race, health status, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, political beliefs, genetics or biometrics.
JCAG does not target online or social media advertising using sensitive personal information.
Information about children
The Junortoun Community Action Group is an inclusive organisation, and many of our activities are family focussed and encourage the participation of children. However JCAG does not specifically collect personal information about children, and JCAG does not target online or social media advertising at children.
How we use personal information
We collect personal information for the primary purpose of delivering our services, and providing information to members of the Junortoun community and other interested people.
- We collect and record membership information to maintain compliance as an Incorporated Association according to the requirements of Consumer Affairs Victoria.
- We use our email mailing list to communicate with residents and other interested people.
- We use social media to communicate with residents and other interested people.
- We use lists of committee members and volunteers to communicate within our organisation, to plan and deliver activities, events and other operations, and for purposes of accountability and legal compliance.
Storage and security of your information
We hold personal information in a number of ways, including in electronic databases, email contact lists, and in paper files held in secure drawers and cabinets.
Some personal information is stored in secure commercial cloud-based storage, specifically Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive and MailChimp. This information is stored and handled according to the respective privacy and data handling policies of each file-hosting or mailing-list provider.
Sharing and disclosure of personal information
JCAG will generally only use or disclose the personal information it collects for the particular purpose it was collected.
Junortoun Community Action Group Inc. may use or disclose the personal information it holds if this is necessary:
- To comply with a legal obligation.
- To protect and defend the rights or property of Junortoun Community Action Group Inc.
- To prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with a service we provide
- To protect the personal safety of JCAG volunteers, other participants of JCAG services, or members of the public.
- To protect against legal liability.
JCAG may use information provided by you in order to respond to a complaint you make.
JCAG is committed to maintaining the confidentiality of the information it collects. JCAG will not sell or otherwise disclose its email subscription lists, nor its lists of members, volunteers or committee members.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
You can request to view a copy of the personal information we hold about you by using the contact details below. We will allow you to view your personal information unless there is a sound reason not to, including where:
- Giving access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others; or
- We consider that your request for access is frivolous or vexatious.
If we refuse to give you access to your information, we will advise you of our reasons for not providing access.
If you believe that the information we hold about you is incorrect or out of date, please contact us via email and we will take all reasonable steps to amend the information in line with your request.
JCAG maintains a website at: www.junortoun.vic.au.
Information collected when you visit our website may include cookies and usage data, such as your computer’s IP address, browser type, browser version, the pages of our website that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
Cookies, tracking and analytics
To opt out of online tracking you can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies, or to indicate when a cookie is being sent, or use a “private” browsing mode; generally this will not affect your ability to use our website.
Our website is hosted in Australia by Discount Domain Name Services (DDNS) using the WordPress platform.
If you are located outside Australia and choose to provide information to us, please note that we transfer the data, including any personal data you provide, to Australia and process it there.
Security of data
Links to external websites
Where the JCAG website provides a link to information stored on other websites we will take reasonable efforts to identify that a visitor is leaving the JCAG website.
JCAG is not responsible for the content of any external website linked from the JCAG website, nor are we responsible for the protection and privacy of any personal information you provide when visiting those websites.
eMail list management services
JCAG maintains and uses an electronic mailing list for the purpose of sharing news, details of activities and campaigns, and information about community events with local residents and other interested people. This communication includes newsletters and other email-based notices and messages. Occasionally our community newsletter contains non-targeted advertisements, the revenue from which is used to offset the expenses of our organisation. Our mailing list is hosted on the MailChimp platform.
- Subscription to our mailing list is voluntary. We will not add your details to our mailing list without your consent.
- We will not sell, rent or otherwise give away your email address to another business, organisation or individual.
- The MailChimp platform complies with anti-spam requirements and any subscriber who wishes to unsubscribe from our newsletter may do so by following the link provided at the bottom of each email.
Engagement with JCAG on social media
Social media users should note that:
- By participating in these social media networks, you accept the terms, conditions and privacy policies of the respective social media company or organisation.
- You may be individually identified through your participation in the social media network and by interacting with the JCAG presence on that social media platform.
- Social media platforms use diagnostic analytics to assess the number of visitors, posts, page views, reviews and followers which they use to influence the content you see and future marketing campaigns.
Junortoun Community Action Group Inc.
Attention: Privacy Officer
PO Box 5
Junortoun Vic 3551
It was approved by the Junortoun Community Action Group executive committee on 3 October 2019.